Practical LCA in PackageSmart
To introduce students to PackageSmart and provide practical experience applying the LCA methodology as defined in ISO 14040/14044.
This is a three-hour online course providing hands-on experience learning the PackageSmart software and reviewing the basics of life cycle assessment (covered in detail in our Introduction to LCA course). You will need access to two computers for this course - one to view the course and follow along with the instructor and another to access SimaPro during the hands on exercises. This course is taught by an experienced LCA/SimaPro professional. A three-month temporary license to PackageSmart is offered with this course
- ISO standards, a brief overview
- The Structure of PackageSmart: database, projects, primary, secondary and tertiary packaging, manager & user features
- Life Cycle Inventory, data sources for PackageSmart
- Hands-on experience with PackageSmart - selecting approved inventory
- Hands-on experience with PackageSmart - building primary, secondary and tertiary packaging
- Structure of Impact Assessment Methods - a brief overview of ISO standards, PackageSmart method
- Hands-on experience with PackageSmart - calculating impacts in PackageSmart, understanding the graphs and tables
- Hands-on experience with PackageSmart - preparing and exporting reports
Life Cycle Assessment is fast becoming the science behind sustainability measurements worldwide, and while these measurements may not be mandatory for your product now, trends for the future suggest that they will be. Promoting your product and company now as an eco-conscious entity by evaluating your environmental impacts through Life Cycle Assessment is one of the smartest steps you can take to build a sustainable future for your company, and for your products.
The class will meet online at www.gotomeeting.com. You will be provided with an invitation and password a couple days before the class.
The best setup for taking the class is to have one computer to view the slides and one computer set up with PackageSmart to follow along and gain hands-on experience. You will receive a three-month license to PackageSmart two days before the class.
Before the class, you will receive a printout of the presentation slides, which you can use for note-taking during the class. These prove to be a great help when conducting your future LCAs.