Applied LCA in SimaPro (2 Day)
To introduce students to SimaPro and provide practical experience applying the LCA methodology as defined in ISO 14040/14044.
This is a two part, six hour online providing hands-on experience learning the SimaPro software and reviewing the basics of life cycle assessment (covered in our Introduction to LCA course). You will need access to two computers or monitors for this course, one to view the course and follow along with the instructor and another with SimaPro on it for you to work in during the hands on exercises. This course is taught by an experienced LCA/SimaPro professional.
- Review of Goal & Scope
- The Structure of SimaPro: database, projects, libraries
- Review of Inventory Analysis • Life Cycle Inventory: SimaPro libraries, types of data, finding data, gathering data
- Hands on experience with SimaPro: exploring the various ways to create processes, perform simple analysis and look at different ways to view results
- Hands on Experience with SimaPro: how to modify inventory data Parameters
- Hands on Experience with SimaPro: how to use parameters to model multi-output processes
- Review of Impact Assessment
- In depth examination of various Impact Assessment Methods in SimaPro
- Hands on experience with SimaPro: perform simple analysis and look at different ways to view results.
- Hands on Experience with SimaPro: how to use parameters to model allocation.
- Introduction to Product Stages, the life cycle and end of life modeling, general concepts will be introduced*
- Database management, importing and exporting from SimaPro
*this course will not do hands-on modeling in product stages. Hands-on product stage modeling is covered in our beginning end of life online class.
Life Cycle Assessment is fast becoming the science behind sustainability measurements worldwide, including LEED credits, Green Globe ratings, Environmental Product declarations, Wal-Mart Sustainability index, and other eco-labeling efforts. Though these measurements may not be mandatory for your product now, trends for the future are indicating that one day they will be. Stabilizing your product and company now as an eco-conscience entity by evaluating your environmental impacts through Life Cycle Assessment is one of the smartest step you can take to building a sustainable future for your company and your product.
Participants need to have taken our Introduction to LCA online course, or a comparable course covering ISO 14040/14044 LCA methodology.